Saturday, November 12, 2011

Timeless

Tonight I celebrated my mother's 78th birthday with family and friends.  What an enjoyable evening it was, seeing adults of my past, now as an adult myself.  My mother and father's friends have now become MY friends and I am warmed by their good hearts, sincerity, and love.  We shared a few laughs as they recollected stories of me in my youth!  What a wonderful bunch of people we have been blessed with in our lives! 

I am now back at home and listening to my kids secretly whisper to one another...they are supposed to be sleeping (it is now quite past their bedtime).  The practical mom in me wants, as always, to get them to stop the socializing and begin the sleeping;  but the reflective me is secretly smiling, enjoying the whispers, knowing that my kids will have memories of how they always "stayed up whispering & telling stories even after mom told them to go to bed!" and of how their dad and I would get upset with them for staying up.  Ahh, good times. This is memory-making in the works.

It may be a good twenty or thirty years (or more!) before they are in the shoes I am in today, but I hope they will enjoy the same fit.  I hope that they will be able to enjoy an evening out with MY friends and know that they have lifelong friends of their own as a result and, in the quiet of their evening, will be able to step aside from being the good parents they will be and enjoy the greatness of their children, helping them create memories along the way.

Cheers to family, friends, memories, and memories yet to come!  To Life!

Happy Birthday, Mom!  I love you!  Thank you for all the memories, great and small, that you have helped me create!

No comments:

Post a Comment